Saving Energy With a Programmable Thermostat
While spring is a few months away, if you are planning upgrades to reduce the cost of cooling this summer, consider a programmable thermostat. If you have ever forgotten to reset the thermostat while you are away, or before bedtime, you can recognize the value to a thermostat that will provide the changes automatically for you. These changes can make a difference in the energy bill, and when consistently applied with a programmable thermostat, you can maximize your savings while maintaining a comfortable home. Saving money on energy costs is as simple as scheduling routine heating and air conditioning service provided by your Garland Heating and Air Conditioning HVAC technician, changing the filter and installing a programmable thermostat.
By programming the thermostat to reduce how often the the HVAC system runs, you can save significant energy when your family is away. In addition, use the following tips to save even more energy:
- Scheduling a tune up provides the highest performance possible, optimal energy efficiency, maximum comfort, increased reliability and enables the technician to identify problems and provide the necessary adjustments or air conditioning repair in Dallas. In addition, a well maintained system will last longer, saving you even more money while reducing the frequency of repairs. So don't forget to schedule our comprehensive air conditioning service this spring, before summer arrives.
- Provide air filter changes as the manufacturer recommends, using the recommended type of filter. In general, depending on the type of filter, change the filter each month. Even if your filter type is the pleated three month filters, check them each month and change if excessively soiled. Filter changes help to maintain a clean system and ducts, and reduced the need for increased maintenance and air conditioning service.
Additional tips to help save energy include:
- When replacing inefficient appliances, including your HVAC unit, select Energy Star for the highest reliability and efficiency.
- Turn the lights off in rooms not in use. Sensors are available that detect an unoccupied room, and turn the lights off.
- Unplug electrical devices not in use when possible.
- During the summer, avoid the use of the oven. Using an outdoor grill, microwave, or crock pot will prevent heating up the home causing the air conditioner to work harder. If the oven must be used, bake in the early morning when outside temperatures are cooler.
Preventative maintenance is the best insurance against problem,s so don't wait until your system has an issue to call for air conditioning service, contact Garland Heating and Air Conditioning today to ensure your system's best performance.
A programmable thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature according to the settings of time and temperature that you have programmed. This thermostat prevents forgotten temperature adjustments, and can save you as much as 20% on the cost of air conditioning your home. As a consequence of running less, the system will also experience less wear and tear, resulting in fewer repairs with air conditioning service. Different types are available, including:
7-Day Programmable Thermostat
This thermostat provides up to four temperature settings for each day. It is a popular selection for families with busy schedules.
This thermostat offers up to four temperature settings during the weekdays, and allows different settings for Saturday and Sunday. This setup is popular for those with a routine Monday through Friday schedule, and provides flexibility for each day of the weekend.
The 5-2 thermostat provides four temperature settings for weekdays and allows a different setting for both days of the weekend.
A learning thermostat gradually “learns” your preference over time based on your manual selections. Some models include the ability to sense an unoccupied home and to automatically adjust the temperature for energy efficiency. Notifying you when its time to change the filter is a popular feature, and some models even alert when the system needs air conditioning service. Other features are available and will vary between brands and models. In addition, WI-Fi models are available enabling you to connect to the home’s network, allowing you to monitor and remotely control it from a computer, smartphone, or tablet. Some models allow integration with the home's security system and other 'smart' systems.
Contact Garland Heating and Air Conditioning to for additional information, or to schedule installation of a programmable thermostat or other air conditioning service. A Garland NATE certified technician will ensure you receive a thermostat that is compatible with your home’s system. NATE certification ensures you receive a technician with the highest level of training for installation, repair, maintenance and air conditioning service. Our technicians have the expertise to ensure quality that meets and/or exceeds the industry standards. We guarantee your satisfaction, and offer emergency service 24/7. We serve Dallas, Plano, and the surrounding areas. Garland Heating and Air Conditioning is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.